Friday, August 6, 2010

Back To School -Time to Mentally Gear Up!


Very often, the days before school starts are filled with nerves and anxiety.

Will I like my new teacher?
Will my friends be glad to see me?
Can I do this new, harder work?

If you're placing your kids in a new school situation, there may be questions like:

Will I fit in?
How will I know where to go?

As parents, we feel the pressure to prepare our kids with notebook paper, pencils, new tennis shoes and cool t-shirts, but there is much to be done to mentally prepare our elementary school kids.

Consider your routine. Begin going to bed at an earlier hour the week before school starts. Slowly ease your wake up time back to the school wake up time. This will help the kids be rested and know what to expect.

Attend "Meet Your Teacher" day. Many schools will have a time to go and meet your new teacher. This provides kids and their parents to get comfortable with the classroom. Take your time walking from the drop off area to the classroom so your child can get orientated. Let him peruse his new classroom with you nearby. This will help him in knowing that you are comfortable there too!

Start asking questions. It's time to wake up those brains! As you go throughout your day, start to ask questions that will reignite your child's desire to learn.

  • "That's an interesting bug! What kind do you think it is?"
  • "I just saw a license plate for Georgia. Do you remember what the capital of Georgia is?"
  • "You can play outside for 25 minutes. What time will you need to come in?"
  • "Let's bake some cupcakes. Can you help me double the recipe?"

Listen.
As the first day of school approaches, listen to what your child is and is NOT saying. Does she need reassurance about carrying her lunch tray? Maybe he is nervous about reading out loud in a new classroom. Do what you can to help develop some of these areas where they lack confidence.

And remember this great quote:

"Children have never been good at listening to their elders,
but they have never failed to imitate them."
- James Arthur Baldwin


In light of this: stay calm, stay interested, and stay involved.

Like I tell my kids, "I'm sure this will be the greatest year yet!"


No comments:

Post a Comment